You would have heard a lot of ideas over the past two days. In this session, you'll have discussions to identify a shared vision for both our immediate priorities as well as where we want to be in a few years!
This part of the conference is run in three sessions.
The purpose of this session is to discuss what the previous day's sessions, and this morning's panel, mean for you and the sector with which you identify. This discussion will start developing ideas to feed into the next visioning session.
- From the previous days, what has really inspired you? What has challenged you?
- Talk to another person about your reflections.
- Identify similarities, differences.
- Ask: what this means for us, and for children?
- Identify the most important reflections to share.
- share the most important reflections with your table.
Please facilitate this activity at your table. Then ensure the ideas are recorded under the headings us and children.
Given what we have discussed, as a group identify and record:
- What are the 3-4 factors to consider in the short-term vision (to work on next year)?
- What are the 3-4 factors to consider for the longer-term vision (that we will need to work on after next year)?
Record these factors individually or take a photo of the group discussion - you'll need them in the next session.
Please facilitate this discussion at your table.
Between Session One and Session Two you'll move tables to work with new people.
The purpose of this session is to brainstorm, discuss, debate, and consider what we want education to look like in 10 years. We will be developing a vision to help us navigate and inform both the immediate change we know is ahead of us as well as looking to the future. This is a huge topic!
Go around the table to introduce yourselves (name and sector).
As a group, brainstorm:
What do we want children who are entering ECE now to know, feel and be able to do by the time they finish their schooling?
Record your discussion on chart paper. This is blue skies thinking so don't limit yourself at this stage!
Please facilitate this discussion at your table and ensure the discussion is recorded on chart paper.
You may find these prompts helpful:
- What sort of knowledge, skills, dispositions do you think children will need to have?
- How do we hope our communities will be different?
- How will our Treaty partnership be reflected?
- What does everyone agree on? Is there anything you don’t all agree on?
Look at the brainstorm you have done about children and education and discuss:
What will we need in order to achieve our visions for our tamariki?
Please facliltate this discussion at your table.
You may find these prompts helpful:
- What do we want our employment to look like?
- What support, PLD, resources etc. might we need?
- What changes do we need? What stays the same?
From your sector discussions earlier in the morning, you have brought ideas about factors to consider in the short term, and longer term.
Are they visible in what you have just done? If not, do they need to be?
Make sure you note or record the key ideas from your table.
The purpose of this session is to draw all of these discussions together in a coherent way that works for the whole education sector.
As a group, identify the priorities and big ideas for children, and for us as NZEI Te Riu Roa members working in education, that need to be captured in our vision.
Record these in a way that can be shared, such as chart paper, photographs.
Facilitate this discussion at your table and ensure the discussion is recorded.
Was this page useful?