Your role at Annual Conference
Annual Conference is the most important gathering of NZEI Te Riu Roa leaders.
You may have heard NZEI Te Riu Roa President Lynda Stuart say "There's no cavalry coming over the hill. If we want to make a difference in education, we are it. We are the cavalry"
At Annual Conference, 400 leaders from all across Aotearoa New Zealand will:
- shape the policy and direction of NZEI Te Riu Roa in the Annual Meeting sessions
- explore the challenges and opportunities in education,
- strategise and plan the pathway forward to overcome these challenges and make the most of opportunities, and
- put these plans into action to make a real difference in children's learning and educators' working conditions.
Your Area Council or Branch will also brief you on your role and responsibilities before Annual Conference.
Be prepared for voting
This year, the National Executive elections at Annual Conference will be held electronically. You will need an internet capable device to vote (e.g. a laptop/tablet/smart phone).
Since this is a new process, we will have a trial election on Monday afternoon for everyone to get familiar with the process.
Order of Elections
See the voting page for the order of elections.
Flights and transfers
You should have received your flight details by now. If not, please contact us.
For those people travelling to conference by plane we're using Ritchies Buseso shuttle you at Rotorua Airport. Look up your flight number then, when you land, keep an eye out for Ritchies! (The flight numbers are for the flights coming into/out of Rotorua. So if you're catching 2 flights, please look at your second flight number, and your first when leaving)
We've booked the following:
Saturday 29 September
Pick-up from Rotorua Airport
- 3.35 pm: NZ5786
Sunday 30 September
Pick-up from Rotorua Airport TO Rotorua Energy Events Centre
- 10.44 am: NZ5952 Wellington charter
- 11.40 am: NZ5782
- 12.00 pm: NZ8151
Wednesday 3 October
Pick-up from Rotorua Energy Events Centre TO Rotorua Airport
- 11.05 am: NZ5785
- 12.45 pm: NZ5953 Wellington charter
- 3.00 pm: NZ8235
- 4.15 pm: NZ8156
For those arriving by plane on the Sunday, there will be a place to store your baggage at the Energy Events Centre. The Ritchies bus will take your bags to the Hotels! So please ensure you clearly label your baggage.
You will be given the following baggage tags:
- Millennium - Green Tag
- Sudima - Orange Tag
- Novotel - Yellow Tag
- Ibis - Pink Tag
Network breakfasts and dinners
Networks, sectors, and regions often organise their own breakfasts and dinners to get together and explore the challenges and opportunities in education. More opportunities are advertised on the screens during the breaks of Annual Conference.
Guide to accounting
The Guide to Accounting provides guidance on the Annual Conference allowances, GST receipts, and claim forms.
Leave from Annual Conference
It is expected that representatives attend the whole of Annual Conference. Sometimes, however, there are reasons why you may need leave from Annual Conference.
There are formal procedures to be followed when you apply for leave from the Annual Conference and all requests must go before the National President.
Apply for leave using the form below. Once completed, we'll contact you about your leave application.
Connecting to the WIFI
Username (case sensitive) - NZEI
Password (case sensitive) – 2018
Follow the instructions below to set up your access to the EEC Conference Network.
- Double-click the wireless icon in your status tray
- Click View Wireless Networks
- Highlight EEC internal
- Click Connect
- Click on Start button, (click Settings,) select Control Panel
- Double click on Network Connections or Network and Internet Connections if you are using
- Category view
- Right click on your wireless connection in network connections
- Select View Wireless Network Connections
- Highlight EEC internal
- Click Connect
Once connected to wireless
- Open up your browser ie Windows Explorer, Firefox etc
- An Events & Venues log in page will open
- Enter your guest username (case sensitive) - NZEI
- Enter your password (case sensitive) – 2018
- Click log in
Please note the following:
- Guest user name and password is cap sensitive
- 3 failed attempts and you are locked out for 5 minutes
- There is a time out period if it is not used, you will need to re open your browser and log back in.